There are several different types of cancer, and there are also specialists for cancer treatment. Cancer doctors or oncologists are doctors and specialists who completely manage someone’s treatment for cancer as well as general care after she or he has been diagnosed with having the disease. An oncologist would be a patient’s best friend and biggest well-wisher in his or her journey to fight cancer, and therefore, finding the best oncologist and an efficient, well – experienced cancer specialist is very important.
Major Areas of Oncology and Cancer Specialization
The field of cancer specialization and oncology has three most important areas; radiation, medical and surgical.
- A radiation cancer specialist is in charge of the radiation treatment and therapy of a patient.
- A medical cancer doctor treats the patient using medications, as well as chemotherapy and targeted therapy.
- Surgical oncologists operate on the tumour and the nearby affected tissues and work to remove it. They also perform certain kinds of biopsies.
There are also other kinds of oncologists and cancer specialists, such as gynaecologic oncologists who specialize in cervical and uterine cancer and so on; haematologist oncologists who work and take care of the treatment of patients with blood cancers like lymphoma, leukaemia, and myeloma and so on and so forth. Paediatric oncologists and specialists specialize in the treatment of cancer in children. Certain tumours of the brain, leukaemia, Ewing’s sarcoma, osteosarcoma and so on and so forth which are the most common among children are treated by such doctors. With so many types of oncologists around, you need to make sure that you choose the best cancer specialist in India that fits all of your needs and requirements.
The Role of The Cancer Specialist: How Important Is It?
A good, efficient, well – trained and well – experienced cancer specialist oversees the treatment and care of a patient right from the diagnosis and throughout the course of the disease. The cancer specialist plays the most important role, with the following falling under his job:
- Delivering the best quality and compassionate care for the patient and being there by his or her side throughout the ordeal.
- Explaining the stages, diagnosis, prognosis and other important details to the patient.
- Helping the patient in all ways, also in managing cancer – related pain and suffering for which he or she might have to take medications and drugs prescribed by the oncologists.
- Discussing the patient’s options, treatment choices and also being ableot offer excellent recommendations.
A good, efficient and well – experienced cancer doctor will be there by your side throughout the length of your disease. When you are on the hunt for oncologists, make sure to shortlist only those with years of experience and a good, solid reputation. Getting recommendations and referrals from friends and family is also a great idea. While it can be quite tiresome to find the best cancer specialist doctor in India once you do, you can sit back and relax knowing they will be able to handle everything.